Marriage License Info.... A MUST READ.
Dallas, TX Marriage License Requirements
What are the requirements for getting a formal marriage license?
- Both parties must appear before the county clerk;
- Submit proof of identity and age;
- Provide information applicable to each person for which space is provided
- Mark the appropriate boxes provided in the application and;
- Take the oath printed on the application and sign before the county clerk.
What can I use as proof of identity?
- Driver's license or identification card issued by this state or another state;
- United States passport;
- A current passport issued by a foreign country;
- An original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a Bureau of Vital Statistic for a state or a foreign government (printed within the last 10 years). Must present a valid form of government issued ID; or
- Military ID card
- Forms of identification cannot be mutilated (Ex. torn, taped together, or laminated).
What is the cost of a marriage license?
The cost of a marriage license is $81.00 cash.
What are my payment options?
For your convenience, we have provided the following payment options:
The following payments can be made at the Downtown office.
1201 Elm St., Ste. 2100A
Dallas, TX 75270
*Credit/Debit cards: Visa, Mastercard, Discover
*Money Order (Made payable to John F. Warren, Dallas County Clerk)
What is the expiration of a marriage license?
If a marriage ceremony has not been conducted before the 90th day after the date the license is issued, the marriage license expires.
Who can conduct a marriage ceremony?
- A licensed or ordained Christian Minister or Priest;
- A Jewish Rabbi;
- A person who is an officer of a religious organization and who is authorized by the organization to conduct a marriage ceremony; and
- A justice of the supreme court, judge of the court of criminal appeals, justice of the courts of appeals, judge of the district, county, and probate courts, judge of the county courts at law, judge of the courts of domestic relations, judge of the juvenile courts, retired justice or judge of those courts, justice of the peace, retired justice of the peace, judge of a municipal court, retired judge of a municipal court, or judge or magistrate of a federal court of this state; and a retired judge or magistrate of federal court of this state.
What should be done once the marriage license has been purchased?
After you have purchased your marriage license you must select an authorized officiate to perform the ceremony, and wait the appropriate 72-hours before the ceremony take place to get married; unless both parties have completed and obtained a Twogether in Texas premarital education class, or is a member of the armed forces of the United States and are on active duty.
Who should record the marriage license after the ceremony takes place?
The person who conducts a marriage ceremony shall record on the license the date and the County in which the ceremony is performed and the person's name, subscribe in the license, and return the license to the County Clerk who issued the license not later than the 30th day after the date the ceremony is conducted.